Holiday lights bring joy to the Christmas season
Let holiday lights displays add cheer to the season
Throughout North Dakota, homes, businesses and parks are draped in spectacular displays of twinkling lights heralding the season. Find some of the biggest and brightest displays or be a part of the holiday spirit and bring joy to others. String together a few lights of your own or participate in a local lighting contest. You can search for additional holiday events and activities here.
Click on the photos below to learn more about the displays and where to find them. Make sure to check back for regular updates!
Lights Around Town
Explore local parks and public spaces that are decked out for the holiday season. Or join a local lighting competition.
Public Christmas Trees
Here is where you can find beautiful Christmas trees around the state. They’re the perfect opportunity for that holiday card!
2022 Legendary Holiday Experiences
- Nov 22: Tree Lighting at Heritage Square takes place in Downtown Wahpeton and kicks off the holiday season at 5:30pm.
- Nov 25-26, Dec 2-3, Dec 9-10: The Dickens Village Festival in Garrison, known as the “Christmas Capital of North Dakota'' transforms the town itself into the jolliest place with Queen Elizabus rides, a lighted parade, craft shows, tree decorating contests, live entertainment and more.
- Nov 26: The 37th Annual Santa Parade of Lights takes place in Cavalier starting at 5pm. Local merchants will be showcasing their holiday gifts, decor, and more at great sale prices.
- Nov 26-Jan 7: “Mandan Holiday Lights on Main” will light up the streets of Mandan and bring everyone a little bit of holiday magic with innovative and larger-than-life light displays arranged in Dykshoorn Park. The event will engage the traditional spirit of the holiday season along with activities that will exemplify Mandan’s uniqueness (open to the public each evening from 5-10pm).
- Nov 29: The 6th Annual Festival of Lights takes place at the Bowman City Park. The countdown starts at 6pm. Enjoy the lights display, Christmas treats, music, soup, luminaries, Santa, ice skating and wonder. The park comes to life at night through the new year.
- Dec 1-18: Catch a showing of “A Very Merry Badlands Christmas.” This holiday favorite takes place at the charming Old Town Hall Theater with a wonderful story put on by the Medora Musical stars.
- Dec 2-4: Step back into the wild west mixed with a little holiday cheer at the annual Old Fashioned Cowboy Christmas in Medora. This event is filled with several activities including tasty eats on the street, shopping, dancing, a gingerbread contest and more for the whole family to enjoy.
- Dec 3: The Holiday Winterfest is a free annual kick off celebration in Downtown Fargo that’s filled with sparkling lights, warm treats, ice skating, gift donations, holiday photo stations, and holiday-themed games. Don’t forget to watch the parade that includes dozens of entries that are decorated with lights and music.
- Dec 17: After a two-year hiatus, the Canadian Pacific Holiday train will roll through North Dakota once again with stops in Carrington, Harvey, Minot, and Kenmare. This train does not offer rides but puts on a rocking holiday concert with musical stars, Alan Doyle, and Kelly Prescott.
Share Your Lighted Places or Spaces
Help us lift everyone's spirits in North Dakota by sharing a picture of your lighted places or spaces. Please input necessary information so we can include yours, too.