Dickey County Heritage Center

Get In Contact

Dickey County Heritage Center ,
424 Main Ave.,
Oakes, ND
58474
Copy Address | Address copied to clipboard

The Dickey County Historical Society manages the Dickey County Heritage Center, the Dickey County Historical Park and the Stage Coach Historic Sign in Oakes. The Heritage Center was originally the First National Bank of Oakes, built in 1906, featuring impressive Greek Columns in front of the building. In 1972, the building adopted a more modern look. When a new bank was built a block east, the building was home to many businesses until 1993 when The Dickey County Historical Society received it from the Tedin Family. The McLean family won the area contest with the submitted name, "Dickey County Heritage Center." Open to the public June 1994, it was officially dedicated by the North Dakota State Historical Society in 1996. The Dickey County Heritage Center is a three-story building filled with exhibits of an 1880s dental office, doctor's office, military history room, 1900s prairie kitchen, antique farm tool display, vintage wringer washing machine collection, 1950s Western Bell Telephone station and a complete collection of the local Oakes Times newspaper dating back to 1906 to the present day.

Special exhibits include Biblical lamps, small-town photographs, collection of First Lady dolls and the first judge's chair in Dickey County. Current projects are digitizing our newspaper collection, help with family research, or anyone can come do their own research. We also maintain an active Facebook page with history and newspaper articles from the past. Other current projects are maintaining our building and serving walking tacos every Wednesday in August.

Our museum is set up by rooms. Each room has a certain theme. Feature exhibits are the medical room, military room, and prairie kitchen. Tours are self-led and can range in length. Those who have stopped to walk through, typically stop later in the year to see any changes.

The Dickey County Historical Park on the west side of town includes an early 1900s Soo Line caboose, Bear Creek Climax schoolhouse, a 1891 Methodist church, a 1909 Security Bridge Company bridge and a Soo Line train depot. The Dickey County Historical Society was granted an official charter in February 1975 by the North Dakota Secretary of State. 

Follow them on:

All Features

  • Accessibility
    • Accessible Entrance,
    • Passenger Drop-off/Pick-up,
    • Service Animals Allowed,
    • Wheelchair-accessible Parking,
    • Wheelchair-accessible Restrooms,
    • Wheelchair-accessible Seating
  • Availability
    • By Appointment Only,
    • Open Year 'Round
  • Facility Amenities
    • Historic Marker
  • General Information
    • Family-Friendly
  • Group & Meeting Information
    • Accommodates Tour Groups,
    • Advance Reservations Required for Groups
  • Parking
    • Parking Lot,
    • Street Parking

46.138627, -98.093823

Dickey County Heritage Center

Open in MapsOpen in Maps