Chateau de Mores
Located southwest of Medora, this site memorializes the life and activities in North Dakota of Antoine de Vallombrosa, the Marquis de Mores, who arrived in 1883. Among his enterprises were a beef packing plant, a stagecoach line, a freighting company, refrigerated railway cars, cattle and sheep raising, land ownership, and a new town which he called Medora, in honor of his wife.
Chateau de Mores - This 26-room, two-story frame building was built in 1883 as the summer residence of the Marquis's family. The Chateau is now a historic house museum and contains many of the original furnishings and personal effects of the de Mores family. Visits through the house are available during the summer months, and there is an admission charge. School and commercial bus tour group rates. Allow one hour for visit.
De Mores Memorial Park - Located in downtown Medora, the park has a bronze statue of the Marquis de Mores donated in 1926 by his sons. The statue is surrounded by a flagstone courtyard, the result of a 1938 WPA project.
Packing Plant/Chimney Park - Situated on the west edge of Medora, the site once contained the plant, a slaughterhouse, three icehouses, several outbuildings, a railroad spur track, and a corral. The building burned in 1907, leaving the tall, native clay brick chimney standing. A picnic area is located next to the plant.
- Self-Guided Tours
- Open Year 'Round
Adults $10, children ages 6-15 $3. During off-season, tickets to Interpretive Center are half-price.
- Historic Marker
- Hours of Operation
(Memorial Day-Labor Day) Summer hours, daily, 8:45 a.m.–noon and 1 p.m.-5:30 p.m. MT. Closed noon-1 p.m. for cleaning. (Labor Day-Memorial Day) Winter hours, Tues.-Sat., 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (MT).