Fort Ransom State Park
Get In Contact
North Dakota's homesteading heritage is preserved at Fort Ransom State Park.
The park, nestled in the picturesque and heavily wooded Sheyenne River Valley, officially opened in July 1979. This park is managed as a natural and scenic area and is located on one of North Dakota's officially designated scenic byways and backways, the Sheyenne River Valley National Scenic Byway.
Canoeing is popular on the Sheyenne River during the summer, with canoe and kayak rentals available in the park. A short segment of the North Country National Scenic Trail winds through the park. Corrals and trails are provided for groups bringing in their own horses. Those bringing in livestock must use certified weed-free hay, which is available for sale at the park.
Snowmobiling and cross-country skiing are the major winter activities.
Here are a few ways to make your visit memorable:
- Stay in a wagon, yurt or homestead: Fort Ransom has several unique overnight rental facilities, including a covered wagon, two full-service yurts and a historic homestead!
- Hike the longest national scenic trail: Stretching 4,800 miles across eight states, the North Country National Scenic Trail winds through the valley on its way to Lake Sakakawea. Hike the portion that goes through the park!
- Paddle the Sheyenne River: Utilize the park's accessible kayak launch to get on the water where you'll enjoy a peaceful paddle and maybe even spot some wildlife!
- Attend Sodbuster Days: A farmstead within the park is the setting for this annual celebration which brings the state's pioneer heritage to life through demonstrations such as blacksmithing and horse-drawn farming in addition to homemade food.
- Equipment Available for Rent,
- Instruction Available,
- Self-guided Tours
- Open Year 'Round
- Camping Amenities
- Dump Station,
- RV Sites,
- Facility Amenities
- General Information
- $ = Less than $50,
- $$ = $50-$99,
- $$$ = $100-$200,
- $$$ = $200 and Up
- Accessible Entrance,
- Partially Paved,
- Passenger Drop-off/Pick-up,
- Service Animals Allowed,
- Wheelchair-accessible Parking,
- Wheelchair-accessible Restrooms