Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sims
4945 Sims Road,
Almont ND 58520
Share This Listing
October 2008, former First Lady Laura Bush, as honorary chairperson of the SAVE AMERICA'S TREASURERS PROGRAM, chose to visit the oldest Lutheran Church in North Dakota west of the Missouri River. She was quoted as saying, "SHE SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST!"
The parsonage was built first to serve as a home for the pastor. The second story was used for services and Sunday school until the church was completed in 1900. Services and church records were in Norwegian until 1946. Restoration of the parsonage/church was undertaken by the congregational members in 2006 with a grant to Sims Historical Society from "PRESERVATION NORTH DAKOTA" (Preserving Prairie Places) matched by the church along with 2000 hours of volunteer labor.
Sims was once considered as the site for the county seat of Morton County with a population of over 1,500. Today it is a ghost town; however, church services are still held alternate Sundays with the United Lutheran Church of Almont.
Cost of Admission
Free-will offering, donations are greatly appreciated to assist in maintenance and upkeep.
- Hours of Operation
By appointment only.
- Local Phone: 701-843-7634