Dickey County Historical Society
The Heritage Center was originally the First National Bank of Oakes, built in 1906, featuring impressive Greek Columns in front of the building. In 1972, the building adopted a more modern look. When a new bank was built a block east, the building was home to many businesses until 1993 when The Dickey County Historical Society received it from the Tedin Family. The McLean family won the area contest with the submitted name, "Dickey County Heritage Center." Open to the public June 1994, it was officially dedicated by the North Dakota State Historical Society in 1996.
Special exhibits include Biblical lamps, small-town photographs, collection of First Lady dolls and the first judge's chair in Dickey County. Current projects include finishing our building restoration and carpeting the back half of the building.
Our museum is set up by rooms. Each room has a certain theme. Feature exhibits are the medical room, military room, and prairie kitchen. Tours are self-led and can range in length. Those who have stopped to walk through, typically stop later in the year to see any changes.
- Guided Tours
- Free Admission
- Hours of Operation
Open by appointment as requested.
- Historic District