Buffalo Creek State Historic Site

Javascript is required to view this map.
Southeast

Buffalo Creek State Historic Site, in west-central Cass County, commemorates a point crossed by Sibley's expedition on August 15, 1863, on its way to Fort Abercrombie at the end of the summer campaign. This was not, however, the full expeditionary force that had entered Dakota Territory on July 2, 1863. Colonel Samuel McPhail and his 1st Minnesota Mounted Rangers were scouting down the James River and would return to Minnesota by a different route.

The modern Buffalo Creek State Historic Site is located about one-eighth mile east of the Maple River and about two miles northwest of the town of Buffalo. It is marked by a bronze plaque mounted on a boulder on the north edge of a gravel road. The plaque noting the expedition's crossing was installed in 1927 by the Dacotah Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Top Features
  • Free Admission
All Features
Cost of Admission
  • Free Admission
Facility Amenities
  • Historic Marker
Questions?