June 4, 2014 North Dakota Tourism E-Newsletter
June 4, 2014 Newsletter
In recognition of the importance the outdoors have on the lives of North Dakotans, Governor Jack Dalrymple proclaims June as “Great Outdoors Month” in the state. A variety of events and activities are planned throughout the month at North Dakota’s 13 state parks. For more information on what’s happening in North Dakota State Parks during the month of June go to the NDPRD website at www.parkrec.nd.gov.
The State Historical Society of North Dakota is making $45,000 available to the public for use in the restoration, stabilization and protection of historic and archaeological properties. This funding can only be used on properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Eligible activities include pre-development work (plans, evaluations, engineering and architectural or archaeological services), restoration, rehabilitation and preservation projects. Routine maintenance and work on properties owned by religious organizations or used for religious purposes are not eligible for funding. Click here for full details.
Tourism industry representatives in North Dakota should mark Oct. 7 on their calendars for the annual tourism stakeholders meeting in Bismarck. The event will be held again at Century Center. This is an opportunity to learn how the North Dakota Tourism Division will be marketing the state and partnership opportunities that are available. Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to the date.
This year, North Dakota Tourism will spend $2.5 million advertising travel to North Dakota and the main call-to-action is NDtourism.com. Learn more about the opportunities on the site to expand your business or organization’s presence and get more referrals. A free webinar showing the advertising options on the site will take place at 10 a.m. (CST), Monday, June 16. Click here to register.
- August 24-26 – ESTO – The U.S. Travel Association hosts the nation’s premier educational and networking event in Louisville, Kentucky.
- September 24-26 – CenStates TTRA – Meet with peers in the 13 Central States Region to learn about marketing trends and industry research, in Bloomington, Minn.
- October 20-22 – Marketing Outlook Forum – The Travel and Tourism Research Association hosts the leading travel forecast conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
As hotel inventories grow and travelers continue to be price-conscious, flash sale sites have emerged as a popular force in generating bookings. Sites like Groupon are hot for travel deals, and may have generated as many as 4,000 room-night sales for a single hotel. Development Counsellors International (DCI) offers seven reasons why DMOs should try Groupon Getaways or LivingSocial Escapes to clear available inventory.
- Audubon Auto Tour currently closed due to the presence of Piping Plovers until mid-July. Click here for updated information.
- Skywest will resume passenger airline service between Jamestown and Denver. Click here for more.
- Visitors to the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park may experience up to 30-minute delays and rough road conditions due to road construction along East River Road. Check at the South Unit Visitor Center for current road conditions, 701-623-4466.
- Hotels Recently Opened: Home 2 Suites by Hilton – Fargo; Value Place Extended Stay - Watford City; Cambria Suites – West Fargo